With the soaring temperatures all over the nation many Americans are facing huge increases in the amount of electricity they’re using causing outrageous electric bills. Thankfully there are things that you can do to help cut down on the cost of staying cool this summer. Here are 5 ways I think would drasticly cut the cost of cooling your home. Many of the things I will mention you might already know but some of them you might not be aware of.
5 Ways to Stay Cool and Save Money
- First you want to make sure that any holes or leaks are sealed off in your home. Most people don’t realize just how much hot air is coming in there home making there air conditioner work over time. Take the time to do a thorough inspection of the inside and outside of your house to try and find any leaks where cool air might be escaping.
- Secondly make sure that all of your cooling equipment has new filters and has been serviced so that it is running correctly. Having an air conditioner unit that hasn’t been serviced can cause it to work more than it is supposed too. Also if you have a dirty air filter this will cause the air conditioner to kick on more often leading to higher cost.
- Thirdly make sure that any windows in your home are covered. Most people doesn’t realize that a lot of heat comes in there home via the windows that are left uncovered. If you cover your windows it will reflect the heat of the sun back outside thus making your air conditioner work much less.
- Another great thing you can do is to set your thermostats between 72 and 74 degrees. If you keep the thermostats at these temperatures you will use much less power and still be very comfortable in your home.
- Finally, make sure that anything in your home that is not being used is either turned off or unplugged. Many people doesn’t realize that most appliances use electricity even when they are turned off. This is especially true for televisions in your home. It may also cut cost if you change light bulbs in your home to a lower wattage.